At the very least 18 hospitals in Romania had been knocked offline after a ransomware assault took down their healthcare administration system.
The Hipocrate Data System (HIS) utilized by hospitals to handle medical exercise and affected person information was focused over the weekend and is now offline after its database was encrypted.
“Throughout the night time of 11-12 February 2024, an enormous ransomware cyber-attack focused the manufacturing servers working the HIS info system. Because of the assault, the system is down, recordsdata and databases are encrypted,” the Romanian Ministry of Well being mentioned.
“The incident is below investigation by IT specialists, together with cybersecurity consultants from the Nationwide Cyber Safety Directorate (DNSC), and the probabilities for restoration are being assessed.
“Distinctive precautionary measures have additionally been activated for the opposite hospitals not affected by the assault.”
The ransomware assault affected numerous hospitals throughout Romania, together with regional and most cancers remedy facilities, and a workforce of DNSC cybersecurity consultants is presently investigating the cyber incident.
DNSC suggested in opposition to reaching out to affected hospitals’ IT groups “to allow them to concentrate on restoring IT providers and information.”
The record of impacted hospitals shared by the Ministry of Well being by the point this text was revealed consists of:
- Emergency Hospital of Plastic, Reconstructive and Burn Surgical procedure Bucharest
- Azuga Orthopaedics and Traumatology Hospital
- Emergency County Hospital “Dr. Constantin Opris” Baia Mare
- “Sf. Apostol Andrei” Emergency County Scientific Hospital Constanta
- Oncological Institute “Prof. Dr. Dr. Al. Trestioreanu” Institute Bucharest (IOB)
- Navy Emergency Hospital “Dr. Alexandru Gafencu” Constanta
- Sighetu Marmației Municipal Hospital
- Targoviste Emergency County Hospital
- C.F. Scientific Hospital no. 2 Bucharest
- Fundeni Scientific Institute
- Iasi Regional Institute of Oncology (IRO Iasi)
- Buzău County Emergency Hospital
- Slobozia County Emergency Hospital
- Institute of Cardiovascular Illnesses Timișoara
- Hospital for Continual Illnesses Sf. Luca
- Colțea Scientific Hospital
- Medgidia Municipal Hospital
- Pitesti County Emergency Hospital
In the mean time, there isn’t any info on what ransomware operation encrypted the hospitals’ medical providers administration platform or if the sufferers’ private or medical information was additionally stolen throughout the incident.
RSC, the software program service supplier behind the Hipocrate healthcare system, has but to challenge a public assertion relating to this incident.
A RSC spokesperson was not instantly accessible for remark when contacted by BleepingComputer earlier right this moment through e-mail and over the cellphone.